Committee Climate & Biodiversity Emergency
The Climate and Biodiversity Emergency Committee (CBEC) meets three times a year and was constituted to to ensure that the Town Council continues to implement the three resolutions it committed to in the Climate Change Emergency motion passed on 20/9/19, namely:
- To ensure implementation of the carbon-neutral roadmap established by the Climate Change Working Party in 2019.
- To promote the environmental grants fund.
- To seek ways to facilitate and encourage our community to reduce direct and indirect CO2 emissions and conserve and enhance biodiversity.
The CBED consists of the following councillors:
- Councillor Nikki Barton
- Councillor Kirsten Ellis
- Councillor Gary Lloyd (Chair)
- Councillor Claire Matthes (Vice-Chair)
- Councillor Conrad Waters
- Councillor Terry Weldon
- Councillor Geoffrey Whitby
The Climate Change committee has no delegated authority from Full Council in respect of decision making however it is responsible for:
- Making full costed recommendations to the Amenities committee in respect of environmental enhancements to the Council’s assets, such as:
- Open spaces (Lion Green, Town Meadow etc).
- Public toilets
- Creating and keeping up to date an HTC Carbon Audit.
- For all other projects making full costed recommendations to Full Council or the CIL committee, this could include but not restricted to:
- Street tree planting
- Bike shelter pilot
- Public recycling bins
- Walking and cycling
- Other responsibilities:
- Supporting collaborations with local councils such as Witley Parish, Dorking Parish, West Villages
- Collaborating with and supporting local organisations such as the local Climate Collective (including LHWW, Transition, CRP, Community Energy)
Full terms of reference can be found here.